Silumin – light foundry alloy based on aluminum containing silicon (4-22 %) and magnesium (0.6 %), manganese (0.5 %), iron (1 %), in special cases, copper, zinc, sodium and lithium.
Silumin – light foundry alloy based on aluminum (Al) containing silicon (Si) (4-22 %) and magnesium (Mg) (0.6 %), manganese (Mn) (0.5 %), iron (Fe) (1 %), in special cases copper (Cu), zinc (Zn), sodium (Na) and lithium (Li).
Used in the automobile industry (pistons, parts for chassis, cylinders, motors), aviation (cylinder blocks, pistons for cooling, and aviation nodes) in arms (a box for guns, components for air guns), in gas turbine equipment (generators, heat exchangers), in the manufacture of cheap household goods (heat exchangers, sanitary valves, grinder, frying pans, cauldrons, smokehouse, etc.), in sculptural technique, sometimes in the manufacture of keys.
– low density composition is from 2.5 to 2.94 g/cm3,
high porosity and coarse grained eutectic castings
– high wear resistance,
– resistance to mechanical loads
– long life,
– has higher strength and durability compared to aluminum
– light weight,
– strength silumin is not inferior to steel and other metals-analogues,
– high fluidity,
– low tendency to shrinkage during casting,
– the ability of soldering and welding,
– colour grey, with cut silver,
– a melting point of about 670 0 C,
– fragile, the processing is not
– resistant to corrosion in humid atmosphere and seawater, weak acid and alkaline environment.