Waterjet cutting of metal and other materials.
Waterjet cutting allows for custom cutting of any material, thus changing the slope of the cut does not adversely affect the quality, and cut the details of the complex geometry without any errors. Workflow of cut to be performed under any angle of tilt allows the output to fully finished workpiece and not subjected to finishing.
Advantages of waterjet cutting. Accuracy, thickness,speed waterjet cutting
Water jet cutting — a form of machining, where the cutting tool is cutter uses a jet of water or mixture of water and abrasive material emitted with high speed and under high pressure. In nature a similar process occurring naturally is called water erosion.
The technology of waterjet cutting is based on a specially developed system of water supply under high pressure and high speed onto the surface. An additional component of the fluid is abrasive, which is added to water. Typically, the abrasive is used microparticles of garnet sand. For cutting some materials such as soft materials (paper, fabrics etc) only water is used. Water and grit abrasive fed into the mixer, and the resulting slurry under high pressure (4000 bar or more) hits in a carbide or diamond nozzle installation. The nozzle has a diameter of about 0.6-1.2 mm. Then the jet is obtained the slurry of water and abrasive material at high speed (about 1000 m/sec) from the nozzle is directed to the workpiece and cuts it.
Process start and finish of a waterjet machining cut is performed in one step.
Speed workflow waterjet cutting takes place without slowing down, the rate of cutting speed is not reduced even if you have to handle the thick-walled elements.
Waterjet cutting allows:
– carry out custom cutting of any material, thus changing the slope of the cut does not adversely affect quality;
– the workflow to be performed under any angle of tilt allows the output to fully finished workpiece and not subjected to the finishing processing;
– cut out details to the most complex geometric shapes without any errors;
– cutting various metals, alloys, steel, stone, glass, granite, marble etc. materials.
Some soft materials: rubber, rubber, polyurethane, foam materials, cork materials, thermal insulation materials, leather, fabrics, cardboard, paper, food, subjected to water jet treatment only with water without using abrasive.
– the method of waterjet cutting can be applied perfectly to all materials (steel, copper, wood, glass, marble, granite, rubber, plastic,etc.)
– absence of thermal influence on the material (the temperature in the cutting area 60-90 ° C),
– small, about 1 mm, cutting width,
– significantly less loss of material,
– a wide variety of cutting thickness (150-300 mm and more)
– the lack of smoke, dust, and harmful gases (the flow of the water jet carries dust with him)
high performance cutting of sheet materials with thickness more than 8 mm,
– no burn-out of alloying elements in alloy steels and alloys,
– the lack of melting and burning material on the edges of machined parts and the surrounding area
– the ability to cut thin gauge material in a package of several layers to improve performance, including by reducing the idle stroke of the cutting head,
– full fire – and explosion safety of the process, therefore, abrasive waterjets can operate in factories with possible risk of explosion,
– ecological purity and complete absence of harmful gas emissions,
– high cutting quality (edge roughness Ra of 1.6). RES is smooth, does not require additional processing
– cutting tool (jet of water or water abrasive) does not need regrinding,
– there is no need to replace worn cutting tool and the sharpness of the cutter, as, in fact, it is missing,
– low tangential cutting force to the part (generally not even required to clamp the material being cut),
– ability to cut complex contours on contoured surfaces
– a fairly high speed. For example, for glass thickness 5 mm, cutting speed is 1 m per minute
– there is no mechanical deformation of the workpiece,
– physico-chemical properties of the material after cutting are not changed,
– waterjet cutting material, it is possible to start from any point of the workpiece without pre-drilling holes.
With the help of hydro-abrasive jet cutting almost any material:
– ferrous metals and alloys;
– non-ferrous metals and alloys (copper, Nickel, aluminium, magnesium, titanium and their alloys);
– difficult to machine alloy steels and alloys (including heat resisting and stainless);
– ceramic materials (ceramic, tiles);
– natural and artificial stones (granite, marble, etc.);
glass and composite glass (laminated glass, bulletproof glass, wired glass, glass fiber, etc.);
porous and transparent materials;
– cellular and sandwich structures;
– concrete and reinforced concrete;
– paper and paperboard,
– fabrics, leather goods,
– plastic and plastic;
– food products;
– any other soft materials (polyurethane, foam rubber and other foam materials, etc.).
For waterjet cutting machine use the following abrasives:
garnet sand. Hardness on the Mohs scale of 6.5 – 7.5. Suitable for cutting most materials, efficient cutting high-alloyed steels and alloys, and titanium alloys,
– quartz sand. Hardness on the Mohs scale 7. Used for waterjet cutting glass
– electrocorundum. Hardness on Mohs scale 9. Suitable for cutting most materials
– silicon carbide. The Mohs ‘ hardness of 9.5. Suitable for cutting most materials
– abrasives on the basis of superlake. Hardness on the Mohs scale of 6.5.
Speed waterjet cutting depends on the type of material, its hardness and thickness, the diameter of the nozzle and the mixer, the type of the abrasive material and the pressure (velocity) of water supplied, abrasive.
The table below shows the approximate cutting speed of plastic, aluminum, stainless steel, glass and ceramics.
|Material||Thickness (mm)||Cutting speed (mm/min)|
(hardness on the Mohs scale of 1.5-2.5)
(hardness on the Mohs scale of 2.5-3)
(the Mohs ‘ hardness is 4-4,5)
(hardness on the Mohs scale of 4.5-6.5)
(hardness on the Mohs scale of 6-8,5)