Vertical-axis wind turbine.
Design vertical-axis wind turbine has an increased sweeping wind area, which ensures high utilization rate of wind – 48-50%.
Vertical-axis wind turbines are the new trend in the wind industry. However, the design of this wind turbine was still known since the Babylonian Kingdom. Then the vertical-axis wind turbine had a blade shot down from the boards.
Designed vertical-axis wind turbine has a fundamentally new architecture in contrast to horizontal axis and is known in ancient times wind turbines.
Design vertical-axis wind turbine involves the presence of rotor (vertical axis), attached vertically and horizontally (spoilers) set of blades that change their position and direction depending on the wind strength and the upper horizontal impeller.
The basis for vertical-axis wind turbine based on the principle of natural phenomena – tornado (tornado). Vertical blades mutually overlap that does not allow air to freely flow to the other side of the rotor. The air washes the outside upwind of the blades and the inside of the leeward. The ascending vortex is formed. Thus, the wind turbine converts the horizontal linear wind flow in the ascending vortex, which “wound” on multi-blade rotorlike a cocoon. Vertical blades prevent the passage of air directly, it spirally wraps around the rotor cavity, passing friction him their energy. Wind flow interacts not only with these blades, but with the associated with the rotor horizontal sloping rear wings (blades). Horizontally sloping rear wings create additional torque. With the top of the blades are connected by a horizontal impeller. It also interacts with the ascending vortex. This design of vertical-axis wind turbine is allowed to increase sweeping wind area of the rotor without increasing its size.
In addition, rotating turbine in the interaction with the wind flow causes the transverse momentum. The force of thrust exceeds the shaft power of the turbine due to the aerodynamic effect of the Prandtl – of Flettner. This circumstance will allow the use of vertical-axis wind turbine not only as a source of energy, and as a driver installations, small ships and large ships in addition to the main propulsion to save fuel.
– always rotates in the same direction at any wind direction,
– electricity generation starts at low wind speed of approximately 3.5 m/s,
– has a high aerodynamic quality of the blades,
– maintenance of generator (no brushes), no gear(multiplier), does not require maintenance of the bearings,
– removal power is not with the axis and the periphery of the rotor,
– modular design. The capacity increase is achieved by installing additional modules that allows to build large wind stationswith a capacity up to 1 MW,
– no noise (silent),
– has no electromagnetic radiation
– has no limits when installed in close proximity to housing because of the noise load is in the range of 20 DB, allowing you to set the data of vertical-axis wind turbine within settlements, including on the roofs of multistory buildings without sacrificing landscape types,
– wind turbine resistant to strong wind, able to withstand even hurricane winds. This is achieved by automatic change of angle of attack of the vertical blades of the turbine,
– the wind turbine is not susceptible to turbulent flows and needs no removal her on a special mast,
– has a light and simple components, convenient for transportation and installation,
– protected against the effects of lightning,
– not require large capital outlays, easier and cheaper to maintain than horizontal-axis turbines
– can work on earth
– mobility. Easily assembled and disassembled and transported from one place to another
– high utilization of wind energy, comprising 48-50%.