The system bus rapid transit – Skytrain to Curitiba.
The system bus rapid transit – Skytrain Brazilian city of Curitiba is a network of high-speed traffic avenues of the city and the route network of buses-Express trains with the only difference that they are organized on the earth’s surface, and not underground like a normal underground train.
The system of bus rapid transit (Bus Rapid Transit, BRT) – ground station in the Brazilian city of Curitiba is a network of high-speed traffic avenues of the city and the route network of buses-Express trains with the only difference that they are organized on the surface of the earthand under the earth, like a normal underground train.
In the rest of the surface metro of Curitiba is no different from the traditional underground, except that the costs of its organization – 100 times smaller than would be required for the construction of underground metro.
The system bus rapid transit was created in Curitiba in 1974 and today it covers 65% of the city. Since the establishment of the system was the real “breakthrough”. In the end, the rest of the world was not slow to take advantage of this experience. Currently, a similar system operates in 160 cities of the United States, China, Turkey, Colombia, Argentina, Indonesia, Mexico, etc. This list is updated quickly as more cities take decisions in favor of the BRT system.
– the whole city permeates the system of high-speed traffic avenues;
– high-speed road avenues consist of three bands. Middle lane is two-way traffic Express bus (Metrobus) and no other vehicles on the middle lane can not move, and on unilateral side lanes are driving the rest of the transportation (cars, trucks, etc. cars). The middle band is separated from the other lanes with sidewalk, lawn, curb, fences, etc., Such a system of speed change lanes (avenues) its characteristics are equivalent to a huge highway with a width of nearly 60 m.;
on both sides of the middle band placed the spot. They are similar to conventional stations underground. The entrance to the stop on one side, output on the other. Paid entrance equipped with turnstiles. Travel expenses shall be when you pass through the turnstile. Stop is both a transfer station, where from the comfort of it (stop), you can transfer to another bus route and continue driving to the desired end of the city;
– stops are, as a rule, small, elongated indoor space in the form of a cylinder. At the ends of lines and in places large passenger flow, transport hubs, where transplants are mass, they represent the largest terminals, where different platforms are sent buses-Express trains in different directions;
– at bus stops have detailed clear diagrams and tables in the same style. This makes this form of transport more similar to metro;
– the Express bus, also called metro bus, drove up to the bus stop and people come to him. The operation takes no more than 30 seconds;
– bus rapid consist of several sections, from 2 to 3 sections. They can accommodate up to 270 passengers.
– bus rapid travel without congestion, and fast. When driving at the intersection of the Express bus are an advantage;
– during peak hours with each stop of 2-3 is sent to the bus in a minute;
the Express bus is privately owned, and the system of traffic management (road network, stop the charging system) owned by the city. In the end, the ground station of Curitiba is one of the forms of public-private partnerships;
– payment of tolls are collected, the city government and then distribute it to the owners of the Express buses;
– payment will be charged 1 time. The number of transfers is not taken into account.
– the costs of organizing high-speed bus traffic at 100 less, than construction of an underground metro, and several times less than the construction of the tram line
– budget travel,
– high capacity,
– the system is used by all the inhabitants of Curitiba, and there are about 2 million people
– low air pollution compared to other cities
– the amount of fuel used by transport per capita in the city, one-third less than the same indicator in other cities and countries
– save time when boarding the bus
– no traffic,
– high speed – 3 times faster than conventional buses,
– significant cost reduction for the organization and maintenance of the Skytrain compared to the underground,
– high usability
– for 40 minutes reduced the length of typical daily commute to work and back,
– 30-50 % reduced travel of residents of the city by personal vehicles.
Note: © Photo