Smart glass is glass with adjustable transparency.
Smart glass cost two times cheaper than the imported. For this work glass is required constantly applied electrical current, it is necessary only for one-time changes in transparency, which is then retained due to the effect of chemical memory.
The technology is awaiting funding!
Smart glass (eng. smart window, also used the name: “smart glass, electrochromic glass,glass with variable properties”) is a composite of layers of glass and various chemical materials, used in architecture and the production of translucent structures (Windows, walls, doors, etc.), changes its optical properties (opalescence (opacity), light transmission coefficient, absorption coefficient, heat, etc.) under changing external conditions, e.g. light, temperature or by applying an electrical voltage.
The core technology of smartglass include:
– polymer particles dispersed liquid crystal (PDLC, Polymer Dispersed Liquid Crystals, LC Glass),
– suspended particles (SPD, Suspended Particle Devices),
– electrochromic particles (ECD, ElectroChromatic Devices, EC Glass).
The General principle of adjusting the transparency of the smart glass based on the properties of polarized particles (liquid crystals, ions, etc.) to organize their movement under the influence of an electric field, “to line up the ranks of the” opening between the path of the light beams.
Russia has developed smart glass cost two times cheaper than the imported. Technologically, this smart glass consists of two optically transparent electrode bonded around the perimeter. The interelectrode space of the smart glass is filled with active composition (ion-conductive electrolyte and the electrochromic film). When applying DC low voltage (less than 6V) moves ions from one layer to another where they enter into a reversible chemical reaction. As a result of changes the transparency of the composition, and the light transmittance of electrochromic glass decreases or increases.
Thus for this glass is not required constantly applied electrical current, it is necessary only for one-time changes in transparency, which is then retained due to the effect of chemical memory.
– managing the darkening of the Windows, walls, partitions,etc.,
– client privacy and confidentiality
– energy saving (reduction of air conditioning costs, lighting),
– good heat-insulating properties. With their use the loss of heat in the room is reduced to 4.5 times
– transparency in the absence of power supply,
– work with a protective anti-vandal properties
– serve as an alternative to mechanical blinds and shading screens, curtains,
– blocks about 99% of UV rays that are harmful to the individual and to surrounding objects.