Backup power system (SRE) on the basis of hydrogen-air fuel elements of the ASTRA.
Backup power system ASTRA is a system based on a hydrogen-air fuel cell in which electrochemical reaction to convert fuel (hydrogen) into electricity, with the possibility of automatic replenishment of hydrogen by electrolysis of water.
The production of hydrogen on-site
Ways of introducing the ASTRA system in SRE
Backup power supply (SRE) ASTRA is a system based on a hydrogen–air fuel cellin which electrochemical reaction to convert fuel (hydrogen) into electricity, with the possibility of automatic replenishment of hydrogen by electrolysis of water.
The system can operate as a backup or emergency power supply as the system load balancing in a smart grid.
Backup power system offers high efficiency production of electricity (60%) and the lowest cost of ownership of all types of systems backup.
Supply of hydrogen:
– komprimirani hydrogen:
The supply of hydrogen in the gaseous state is carried out in a standard cylinder with an internal gas pressure 150атм (40 l cylinder 9 kW*h), 300атм (50 l tank 22.5 kW*h), and in composite cylinders. The supply of hydrogen is also possible in the desktop (or bundles of cylinders interconnected by at 9, 12, 16 PCs. etc. in a single cassette), to extend the reserve power supply time on a single connection.
metal hydride storage system:
Metal hydride alloys – metal alloys that can be used as storage of hydrogen. Metal hydride storage system hydrogen the most attractive in terms of safety and compactness and demand in stationary and standalone applications, where the weighted index storage is not critical.
The production of hydrogen on-site:
These solutions eliminate the need for delivery of fuel. The hydrogen is stored in a bound state in a special intermetallic alloy or cylinders low pressure to 30 ATM.
Production of hydrogen is:
– the electrolysis of water. Produced from water and does not require the logistics of fuel;
method of reforming hydrocarbons. Produced via steam reforming of hydrocarbons (natural gas, propane, butane, etc.);
– from chemical sources of hydrogen. Produced from irreversible sources by the method of thermolysis or hydrolysis.
The system includes:
– FC module (the module of fuel cells). Available FuelCell module with a capacity of 0.5, 1.0 and 2kW. The module contains a stack of fuel cells (FC), the air supply system and distribution system of hydrogen.
– the control module CU. The control unit is the Central element of the control system, the control module is able to control up to 20 FC modules, with the possibility of integration in control system of higher level.
– energy storage (EES). EES are required to run the system and workload optimization. The basic version of the drive – supercapacitor (ionistor). (Optional you can use Li-Ion batteries, lead-acid batteries of small capacity).
– the rack / Cabinet. There are various versions of the cabinets for systems, for both internal and external placement of the power supply systems, with different classes of protection up to IP55.
system voltage conversion. To integrate the power systems of the model series ASTRA in the solutions applied in various fields of industry where there are different requirements for current and voltage level, the system includes intelligent converters from 12 to 400 Volts DC or AC.
– low cost of ownership;
– simplicity and modularity of design;
– long reserve, remote monitoring;
– the possibility of eliminating the logistics of fuel;
– high environmental friendliness, reliability, no exhaust smell, vibrations and noise;
– the system starts to generate electric power upon receipt of fuel (hydrogen). The battery life of the system is determined only by the fuel stocks;
– switch to backup power from the TE system upon loss of main power occurs instantly;
– backup power system ASTRA is virtually maintenance free (replace air filter – every 2 years);
– the system does not require the support of a special microclimate;
– the system does not generate environmental pollution (the product of the reaction is water);
– high energy efficiency system (a typical efficiency value of 60%).
Ways of introducing the ASTRA system in SRE:
pilot (test) system running on real sites in parallel with the existing SRE. Such projects contribute to compact system, internal and external performance of the system scalability;
– implementation of projects of modernization/reconstruction of existing SRE. In these projects the ASTRA system can be replaced and a diesel generator, and battery;
– the maximum efficiency of the ASTRA system is manifested in the newly designed SRE, where can be realized all the advantages of the system.
– typical power range: 2,5 – 50 kW with a step of 2.5 kW or 10 kW;
– power and energy storage massturbate independently;
– assume 100% discharge;
– the energy consumption depends on the amount of stored hydrogen;
– hydrogen is stored in a bound state in a 7 litre cylinders;
– various options of hydrogen storage, with the possibility of “hot” replacement of fuel sources;
– optional – the production of hydrogen from water or hydrocarbon fuel;
– equipment is placed in a thermostated Cabinet for street performance with protection class IP 65.
Note: the description of technology on the example of system standby power supply ASTRA.